Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Lots of finally around here

I had a big poetry weekend. Inching closer to cover completion for Hot Type Cold Read, my new joint coming soon from Chatter House Press out of Indy. I connected with photographer Shannon Zahnle and letter-press artist Kim Ransell of The Collective Press. Got something appropriate, sharp, old school, gritty. Can't wait to see the final. REALLY can't wait for it to be out. Poet-friend Tom Hastings once told me "Well, you're always working on a manuscript," and I am very eager to get fully into the next one.

Called a double-header Sat night at the Cardiac Arena. Good fun! And that's kind of where I'm at with the roller derby thing these days. It is not so much a "part of my life" as it is another spoken word-type gig, like the Encyclopedia Show, though I feel more emotionally invested in that venture. Still, I will likely be traveling to Philadelphia with the league in Oct.

And the Reservoir Dogwoods FINALLY recorded the album we've been talking about for over a year. Basically just laid down all the group/trio/duo pieces we've conceived over the past 4 years, but we got a good, studio recording, rather than a few crappy field recordings I've made here and there. Look for that to drop in the next couple of months. It's a nice capstone: Joe is moving to Chicago later this year, so the fate of the 'dogs is uncertain. Continue as a trio? Replace him? Just have "reunion" shows now and again? Regardless, we'll likely not write any or much new material as a group, so it's good to have a document of where we've been and what we've accomplished thus far.

No comments: